Now here are the vocals sped up and enhanced:
Here’s a transcript of the first bit of dialogue:
- Hendrix : Star fleet to scout ship, please give your position. Over.
- Chandler : I am in orbit around the third planet of star known as sun. Over.
- Hendrix : May this be Earth? Over.
- Chandler : Positive. It is known to have some form of intelligent species. Over.
- Hendrix : I think we should take a look, (Jimi then makes vocal spaceship noises).
In other versions of the song, you can hear him say things like: “War, speak water” and “Yeah, a acid drop can make people fly”
Towards the end of the song, Hendrix, in what has been popularly perceived to be a taunt to the popular music of the period, says, “To you I shall put an end, then you’ll never hear surf music again.” However, according to popular surf musician Dick Dale the line was Hendrix’s reaction upon hearing that Dale was battling a possibly terminal case of colon cancer, intended to encourage his comrade to recuperate. This interpretation is given some credence in the aforementioned overdub sessions which reveal two additional sentences:
- Hendrix: …Then you’ll never hear surf music again. That sounds like a lie to me. Come on, man; let’s go home.
Welp, thanks for reading!
Stay classy Boston,